Do you guys love looking at interior design as much as I do? It is always so fascinating to see how trends change and evolve, even over a year. Sometimes the changes are small and sometimes they are big. Homethangs.com and Realtor Magazine put out a top 8 list of kitchen trends for 2013.
1. Modern style:Kitchens are getting more modern in style, boasting simplified lines and offering up big, open spaces perfect for entertaining.
2. Tucked-away appliances: Appliances designed to blend in with the rest of the kitchen, like with the same wood of the cabinets, are becoming more popular. Also, some appliances, like undercounter or mini refrigerators or trash compactors, are being tucked away into a kitchen island.
3. Lots of lights: Great lighting in the kitchen is becoming more important, with lighting being layered with a mixture of task lighting and ambient lighting. Under-cabinet LED lights are becoming more commonplace.
4. Supersized kitchen islands: “2013 kitchen design trends are moving away from dining rooms and toward eating, drinking, and interacting in the kitchen itself, and a large kitchen island complete with bar stools is the perfect way to make this happen,” according to HomeThangs.com. this helps to create “a nice open-air feeling – especially if one can be used to bridge kitchen and living areas, another major 2013 kitchen design trend.”
5. Neutral color schemes: The use of neutral colors in the kitchen is on the rise, particularly in shades of grays and greens and a variety of wood tones. Bright colors are being reserved for only small accents in the kitchen.
6. Fancy appliances: Professional gas ranges and induction cooktops are popular kitchen appliances for making a more gourmet kitchen.
7. Decorative range hoods: Trends are moving away from a conventional stainless steel trapezoid-shaped hood to more decorative range hoods. These hoods may have built-in LED lights and are even serving almost like a decorative chandelier for a kitchen island.
8. Glass backsplashes: High gloss is “in” for cabinets, appliances, and backsplashes. A single-sheet, back-painted glass blacksplash is growing in popularity, which are also known for being easy to clean. These glass backsplashes are also reflective, adding a polished decorative touch to kitchens. Glass mosaic tile sheets are also increasing in popularity
List compiled By Melissa Dittmann Tracey, REALTOR(R) Magazine
What do you think? I have certainly seen decorative range hoods growing in popularity and super-sized islands. It is interesting that concealed appliances are making a comeback. In the 90’s it was certainly popular to conceal refrigerators and dishwashers with wood that looked like your cabinets. When stainless steel gained in popularity everyone wanted to show off their shiny appliances, so that went by the wayside some. I guess it is a trend to cover them up again! It’s true what they say, everything comes back around in fashion and design!