Technology has its benefits, not the least of which are smart phone apps. But, with so many to choose from, finding the right app for you can be hard. So, we’ve narrowed it down to the best 15 apps to keep you both design-inspired and DIY-ready.
Designing And Inspiration
1. HGTV to GO — Stay up-to-date with your favorite HGTV shows with this app that contains full episodes, short videos and photo galleries of inspiring and also do-able ideas. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free).
2. Dream Home — This app contains beautiful high quality photos of fantastic interior designs to keep you inspired. There is no internet required (other than for updates), they add more photos on a weekly basis and the slideshow navigation is very easy. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($0.99) and Android ($1.99).
3. Houzz Interior Design Ideas — With over 200,000 high quality interior design images, Houzz is a one-stop shop for inspiration. With this app you have full access to their photo libraries and can save images to virtual idea books. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free).
4. iHome HD — A wide array of stunning interiors to instantly inspire you. Available for iPad (Free preview or full version for added cost).
1. HGTV Color Guide — Get tips from the pro’s with this app that not only provides wonderfully color inspiration and guidelines from HGTV stars, but includes 5 interactive and informative color articles. Available for iPad (Free).
2. Palettes — This app is perfect for both creating and maintaining color palettes because you can grab color schemes from photographs or websites, can manually add colors using different color models and can store as many palettes as you want. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free to $5.99 depending on level).
3. Benjamin Moore Color Capture — Feeling suddenly inspired by the scene in front of you? Snap a photo with this app and it will automatically create a palette from a selection of Benjamin Moore paints. You can then save the search and add notes. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
4. Sherwin-Williams ColorSnap — Snap a photograph and instantly get matching Sherwin-Williams paint recommendations. You can store and share what you find. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
1. The Home Depot — As any DIY-er knows, finding supplies can be a hassle. With this app, you can research and purchase your tools, can search the store inventory to see what is in stock, can scan barcodes while in the store and you’ll have access to hundreds of Home Depot DIY videos/how-tos. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
2. iHandy Level — Hanging a photo? Putting up a shelf? Make sure your angles are straight with this nifty (and free) digital level. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
3. Handy Man DIY — You’ll never have to do math again with this app! Just input/store room measurements and the app will calculate how much paint, flooring or trim you need for a project. You can also watch useful and detailed how-to videos for a wide array of projects. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($1.99).
4. inchCALC — Never convert measurements to decimals again. With this calculator you can input dimensions in centimeters or inches in fraction form, and you can even input things in squared form. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($1.99).
5. Space Planning Tool — We’ve all been there, you buy a couch and think it will fit, only to realize it is too large. With this app, that will never happen again! You can input room dimensions and create floor plans, make shopping lists, input fabrics/colors/finishes, and more. Available for iPhone/iPod Touch ($1.99) and a different version called ‘Mark on Call’ is available for the iPad.
6. Photo Measures — Take a photo of an object or room and write the measurements directly over it, thereby keeping all your measurements in one mobile place and removing the need for elaborate sketches. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($4.99).
7. SketchBook Pro — Sketch your projects, ideas and inspirations with this pro-level digital sketchbook. Available for iPad ($4.99) and Android ($4.99).